Thy wife shall be as a fruitful vine by the sides of thine house: thy children like olive plants round about thy table.
Behold, that thus shall the man be blessed that feareth the LORD.
The LORD shall bless thee out of Zion: and thou shalt see the good of Jerusalem all the days of thy life.
Yea, thou shalt see thy children's children, and peace upon Israel.
What a psalm! So many promises that God promises us! The family described in that passage sounds like a beautiful family. This is what I want my family to be like; eating the labor of our hands, happy, many children, (-who will be like...olive plants? I'll have to do more research on that one!)
So, if this is what we want to be like, how can we get it? The answer lies in verse 1. Fear. How can we fear the Lord? Proverbs 8:13 describes the fear of the Lord. Proverbs 14:26-27 explains how confident and safe you will feel in his fear.
I think fearing the Lord can also be to have a respect for him. Believe that he will keep his word, and respect him for that.
When I have a family of my own someday, I think I might want Psalm 128:1-4 as my family verse. It's great!
For those of you who have your own families, and children, what does psalm 128 mean to you?
And for the hard question, what do children and olive plants have to do together??? Please my wonderful blog readers, answer me that question!
Tori L.

2 comments:
I love Ps. 128..and 127 and 67 would be my favorites! I'm so thankful that the Lord gives us blessings when we're obedient. The olive shoots reference is symbolic of strength. The olive tree may not bear fruit until it's almost 40 yrs old some times..it is a symbol of longevity and productivity..which hopefully, our children will bear fruit in due time and be strong and productive for Christ! (I reference the Expositor's Bible Commentary for that answer)
Great! Thanks for that info!
Post a Comment